Fr. William Shields
Diocese of Allentown
Assigned as follows:
- 1958-1960: St. Ambrose (Schuylkill Haven, PA)
- 1960-1962: St. John the Baptist de la Salle (Shillington, PA)
- 1962: St. Mary (Hamburg, PA)
- 1962-1964: Annunciation B.V.M. (Shenandoah, PA)
- 1964-1967: Director, Bishop’s Relief (Schuylkill County)
- 1967-1968: St. Paul (Allentown, PA)
- 1968-1969: St. Lawrence (Catasauqua, PA)
- 1969-1972: St. Ann (Lansford, PA)
- 1972-1974: St. Peter (Reading, PA)
- 1974-1995: St. Nicholas (Weatherly, PA)
- 1995-2000: Pastor Emeritus- St. Nicholas (Weatherly, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. William Shields:
Fr. William Shields was ordained a priest in 1958, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Allentown. According to media reports, in 2002, a man reported to the Diocese that he was sexually abused by Fr. Shields at St. Ann’s in Lansford when he was about 12 years old. Under the guise of giving the boy a massage as thanks for helping out at a parish picnic, Shields fondled the terrified boy. He immediately told his mother and a parish deacon. Three months later, Shields told the parish that he was being transferred, and the victim believes it was related to his report.
In 2004, another man came to the Diocese of Allentown to report that he too had been abused at St. Ann’s parish.
In 2018, Fr. Shields’ name was included on Diocese of Allentown list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. He was also named publicly as accused in the PA Grand Jury report.
Shields died in 2000 as a priest in good standing.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.