Father Thomas McKenna
Diocese of Pittsburgh
Withdrew from ministry: September 2004
Assigned as follows:
- 5/31/1972 -5/21/1973: St. Anselm (Swissvale, PA)
- 5/22/1973 -2/13/1978: Immaculate Conception (Washington, PA)
- 2/14/1978 -10/01/1978: Marian Manor Nursing
- 10/02/1978- 2/04/1979: St. Maurice (Forest Hills, PA)
- 11/01/1978- 2/04/1979: Leave of absence
- 2/05/1979 -8/15/1982: St. Kieran (Lawrenceville, PA)
- 8/16/1992 -5/31/1984: St. John Fisher (Churchill, PA)
- 6/01/1984 -9/11/1986: Holy Innocents (Sheraden, PA)
- 9/12/1986 -7/21/1987: Sewickley Valley Hospital (PA)
- 7/22/1987 -8/22/1988: Forbes Regional Hospital (PA)
- 8/22/1988 -5/23/1994: St. Edward (Blawnox, PA)
- 5/23/1994 -1/05/1998: Our Lady of Fatima (Hopewell, PA)
- 1/05/1998 -7/31/1998: SCI (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 8/31/1998 -10/30/1998: Allegheny University Medical Center, PA)
- 10/30/1998: St. Patrick; St. Stanislaus (Pittsburgh, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Thomas McKenna:
Father Thomas McKenna was ordained a priest in 1972, who served in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. According to media reports, records from the Diocese contained a handwritten July 1992 letter from a priest regarding sexual allegations against Father McKenna. It noted that two teenage brothers claimed to have been sexually assaulted by the priest in the 1970s.
An October 1996 Diocesan memorandum documented the fact that McKenna was confronted with several allegations of improper sexual activity.
In October 1999, a lawsuit was filed against McKenna by an inmate incarcerated at the State Correctional Institution at Pittsburgh. He alleged that McKenna had sexually assaulted him while he was in prison.
In May 2002, the Diocese of Pittsburgh received a report from a woman who stated that McKenna had sexually abused her son in 1975. No other documentation was found in the file.
In December 2004 a final summary of treatment for Father McKenna from St. Luke Institute was completed. He was diagnosed with Ephebophilia (attraction to teenagers).
McKenna was first named publicly as accused in a priest profile in the 2018 Pennsylvania Grand Jury Report. His current whereabouts are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Pittsburgh may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us.
Contact us at 888-283-9922 or [email protected] to discuss your options today.