Father John J. Gallagher
Diocese of Albany
Assigned as follows:
- 1945-1948: Augustinian College (Brookland, Washington DC)
- 1948-1951: Augustinian Monastery (Villanova, PA)
- 1951-1953: Villanova College (Villanova, PA)
- 1953-1956: Archbishop Prendergast High School for Boys (Drexel Hill, PA)
- 1956-1965: St. Nicholas of Tolentine (New York, NY
- 1956-1958: Sisters of St. Dominic Convent (New York, NY)
- 1956-1958: Christian Brothers (New York, NY)
- 1958-1965: Our Mother of Good Counsel Convent (New York, NY)
- 1963-1965: Convent of St. Nicholas of Tolentine (New York, NY)
- 1965-1966: Monsignor Bonner High School (Drexel, PA)
- 1966-1968: Biscayne College (Men) (Miami, FL)
- 1968-1970: Merrimack College (North Andover, MA)
- 1970-1971: Immaculate Conception (Hoosick Falls, NY)
- 1971-1979: St. Mary’s (Lawrence, MA)
- 1971-1979: Immaculate Conception (Lawrence, MA)
- 1986-2006: St. Thomas Monastery (Villanova, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father John J Gallagher:
Fr. John J Gallagher was ordained a priest of the Augustinian order in 1945. Gallagher served in several dioceses including the Diocese of Albany.
According to media reports, Gallagher was named in a 2005 lawsuit as having sexually abused a girl at St. Mary’s in Lawrence, MA between 1972 and 1978. In July 2018 the Augustinians settled with three women who claimed Gallagher abused them as girls at St. Mary’s when they were between the ages of 9 and 12. There were eight victims — five men and three women — who were abused by Gallagher and another priest in Reading and Lawrence. The Augustinians settled for $1 million to eight plaintiffs claiming abuse by two priests, including Gallagher.
His name was omitted from the 2011 Archdiocese of Boston list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors because he was an Augustinian Order priest.
Gallagher died in December 2006.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Albany. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Albany, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Albany now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.