Father Harry Morgan
Diocese of Phoenix
Assigned as follows:
- 1954 St. Joseph’s (Winslow, AZ)
- 1955 – 1958 St. John the Baptist (St. Johns, AZ)
- 1959 – 1963 St. Pius X (East Flagstaff, AZ)
- 1964 – 1969 St. Joseph’s (Williams, AZ)
- 1965-1970 St. Joseph’s (Williams, Arizona)
- 1971-1972 St. Clement of Rome (Sun City, Arizona)
- 1973-1974 Cristo Rey (Grand Canyon, Arizona)
- 1975 Mission (Fountain Hills, Arizona)
- 1976-1983 Active Outside the Diocese
- 1984-1986 Sacred Heart Home for the Aged (Phoenix, Arizona)
- 1987-1993 Jeanne Jugan Residence (San Pedro, California)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Harry Morgan:
According to media reports, Father Harry Morgan was ordained for the Diocese of Gallup, and became a priest of the Diocese of Phoenix when it was created in 1969.
Father Morgan was arrested February 1975, when he was the pastor at the Church of the Ascension in Fountain Hills. He was charged with molesting a 9-year-old boy that January.
In August 1975, Morgan pleaded no contest in Maricopa County Superior Court.
“I have been consumed with guilt since the incident,” Father Morgan told Maricopa County Superior Court Judge C. Kimball Rose before he was sentenced. He also said he was concerned about the effect his actions would have on the victim’s relation to the church.
In October 1975, Father Morgan was sentenced to 10 years probation. According to a news report dated October 1975, his attorney said the Catholic Church was arranging to place Father Morgan “out of state in a parish without children.”
There is no information to indicate where he was transferred.
He retired in 1994 and died in 1995.
In October 2012, Father Morgan’s name appeared on the Diocese of Phoenix’s list of clergy members who have been accused or convicted of abusing children.
His name was added to the Diocese of Gallup’s list in December 2018.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Phoenix. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Phoenix, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Phoenix now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.