Father Norbert Orsolits
Diocese of Buffalo
Assigned as follows:
- 1966 St. Joseph (Bliss, NY)
- 1967 St. John the Baptist (Alden, NY)
- 1968 St. John the Evangelist (Buffalo, NY)
- 1969-1970 St. John Kanty (Buffalo, NY)
- 1971-1973 St. John Gualbertus (Cheektowaga, NY)
- 1974 Our Lady of Czestochowa (Cheektowaga, NY)
- 1975-1977 St. James (Depew, NY)
- 1978 St. James (Buffalo, NY)
- 1979 Awaiting assignment
- 1980-1981 St. John Vianney (Orchard Park, NY)
- 1982-1983 St. Mary of the Angels (Olean, NY)
- 1984-1988 Sacred Heart (Portville, NY)
- 1989 Absent on leave
- 1990 St. Lawrence (Buffalo, NY)
- 1991-2003 Buffalo General Hospital (Buffalo, NY)
- 1991-1992 St. Lawrence Church (Buffalo, NY)
- 1993-1995 Deaconess Hospital; St. Lawrence Church (Buffalo, NY)
- 1996-2000 St.Lawrence Church (Buffalo, NY)
- 2001-2003 Hospice of Buffalo; St. Lawrence Church (Buffalo, NY)
- 2004-2016 Retired
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Norbert Orsolits:
According to media reports, in February 2018, a man held a press conference across from the Catholic Center to publicly accuse Father Norbert Orsolits of sexually abusing him in the 1980s at St. John Vianney Church in Orchard Park. The allegation ignited the 2018 sexual abuse crisis and within hours prompted Father Orsolits to confess to a Buffalo News reporter that he abused “probably dozens” of boys in the late 1970s to early 1980s. A few weeks later, Bishop Malone released a list of 42 clergy members from the Diocese of Buffalo who had been credibly accused of child sexual abuse.
In the early 1980s, an allegation of child sexual abuse was reported to the Diocese of Buffalo. Bishop Edward D. Head sent Father Orsolits for treatment to Southdown Institute in Canada for six months. When he was cleared to return to ministry, he was reassigned to work at a rural church and high school. In 2003, he was removed from ministry.
In March 2018, Father Orsolits’ name was included in the Diocese of Buffalo’s list of priests who “were removed from ministry, were retired, or left ministry after allegations of sexual abuse of a minor.” No information regarding the allegations was disclosed, however, the list includes priests only if they have more than one allegation.
In August 2019, Father Orsolits was accused in a lawsuit filed under the NY Child Victims Act, of sexually abusing a 13-or 14-year-old child in 1968. Another man waited 40 years to tell authorities that Father Orsolits sexually abused him as a child.
“When Orsolits molested me, he told me, ‘Don’t tell your mom, don’t tell anyone about this,’ ” he said. “He warned me that God would punish my mom. I believed him. I was scared.”
A federal grand jury has begun investigating a potential cover-up in the churches of western upstate New York.
In April 2020, Father Orsolits was one of 23 priests removed off of the Diocese of Buffalo’s payroll through an agreement it reached with survivors in U.S. Bankruptcy Court. He died in March 2021.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims of sexual abuse in the Diocese of Buffalo and throughout New York. The Diocese of Buffalo filed for federal bankruptcy protection in February 2020. Anyone sexually abused by a priest or employee of the Diocese of Buffalo may be entitled to file a claim against the Diocese in these bankruptcy proceedings, but very strict filing deadlines apply. Most victims of abuse in the Diocese of Buffalo will never be able to take action against the Diocese of Buffalo if they miss this bankruptcy filing deadline, so it is important that you contact us immediately to discuss your potential case.
Contact us at 888-283-9922 or [email protected] to discuss your legal options today.