Father Edward Balestrieri
Diocese of Trenton/Trinitarian
Assigned as follows:
- 1959-1960: Unknown
- 1961-1968: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Asbury Park, NJ)
- 1969-1970: St. James (Italian) (Trenton, NJ)
- 1971: (Pikesville, MD)
- 1972: St. Ann (Italian) (Bristol, PA)
- 1973-1978: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Asbury Park, NJ)
- 1979-1981: St. Joseph (Marion, IL)
- 1982-1983: Good Samaritan Hospital (Mount Vernon, IL)
- 1984-1987: St. Joseph (Cobden, IL)
- 1988-1989: St. Mary (Shawneetown, IL)
- 1990-1994: St. Mary Magdalen (Todd’s Mill, IL)
- 1996-1999: St. Paul (Vienna, IL)
- 2000-2002: St. Mary (Sesser, IL)
- 2003-2006: Leave of Absence
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Edward Balestrieri:
Fr. Edward Balestrieri was a priest of the Order of the Most Holy Trinity. In 1985, he was incardinated into the Diocese of Belleville. According to media reports, in May 2002, Balestrieri was removed from ministry after a woman wrote to Trinitarian officials alleging that Balestrieri “inappropriately touched her son,” who was 11 years old, in 1975 at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in Asbury Park, New Jersey. No charges were filed because the five-year statute of limitations had run out.
In December 2018, Balestrieri’s name appeared on the Diocese of Belleville’s list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors.
Balestrieri retired in 2007 and died in September 2012.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Trenton in New Jersey. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New Jersey, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Trenton now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New Jersey and nationwide. We can help.