Father John Bellwoar
Diocese of Newark
Assigned as follows:
- 1927-1928: Georgetown Preparatory School (N. Bethesda, MD)
- 1928-1930: Gonzaga College High School (Washington, DC)
- 1935-1936: St. Peter’s Preparatory School (Jersey City, NJ)
- 1936 -1938: Fordham Preparatory School (Bronx, NY)
- 1938-1940: St. Joseph’s University (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1940-1941: Loyola University Maryland (Baltimore, MD)
- 1941-1970: Gonzaga College High School (Washington, DC)
- 1970-1976: St. Patrick’s Catholic Church (Washington, DC) Attached to Jesuit Community of St. Aloysius Gonzaga (Washington, DC)
- 1976-1991: Gonzaga College High School (Washington, DC)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father John Bellwoar:
Father John Bellwoar was ordained a Jesuit priest in 1933. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career in the the Archdiocese of Newark. He died in November 1993. According to media reports, in December 2018, his name appeared on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors. It noted multiple allegations of abuse, occurring from the 1950s to the 1960s in Prince George’s County, MD and Washington, DC. In February 2019, his name was included in the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Newark in New Jersey. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused in the Archdiocese of Newark, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Newark now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New Jersey and nationwide. We can help.