Father Martin D. Brady
Diocese of Richmond
Assigned as follows:
- 1956-1958 Seminary school
- 1958-1960 St. Francis Church (Little Falls, MN)
- 1960-1965 Highland Hall (Hollidaysburg, PA)
- 1965-1966 Bishop Carroll High School (Ebensburg, PA)
- 1966-1968 Fordham University (Bronx, NY)
- 1968-1972 James Barry-Robinson High School (Norfolk, VA)
- 1972-1974 St. Anthony’s Church (Johnstown, PA)
- 1974-1981 Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Altoona, PA); Bishop Carroll High School (Ebensburg, PA)
- 1978 St. Anthony’s Church (Windber, PA)
- 1981-1982 Holy Family Church (Port St. Lucie, FL)
- 1982-1986 St. Bernardine Monastery (Hollidaysburg, PA)
- 1986-1990 Church of Annunciation ( Fort Ashby, WV)
- 1990-1997 Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Stonewood, WV)
- 2002 St. Bernardine Monastery (Hollidaysburg, PA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Martin D. Brady:
Father Martin D. Brady, a member of the Franciscan Friars, worked in multiple parishes in Minnesota, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. According to media reports, in February 2005, he was named in a lawsuit alleging that he sexually abused a 16-year-old boy in late the 1970s, when he was a teacher at Bishop Carroll High School in the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown. The plaintiff, who became a priest, was placed on leave after he filed suit, prompting him to resign from active priesthood in April 2006.
In 2012, a second man came forward to report that a confidential settlement was reached with the Franciscan Order and Barry Robinson High in Norfolk in 2003 and 2004. The Diocese of Richmond refused to settle.
In 2016, Father Brady was named in a Grand Jury report of the investigation into the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown. According to the report, Brady sexually abused children between the ages of 11 and 17 while assigned to the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown in Pennsylvania and also in the Diocese of Richmond, Virginia. While serving in the Richmond Diocese, he was accused of abusing two brothers.
In February 2019, Father Brady‘s name first appeared publicly on the Diocese of Richmond’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. He died in 2003.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Richmond. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Richmond, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Richmond now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.