Father James Gormley
Diocese of Scranton (Jesuit)
Assigned as follows:
- 1948-1951: Scranton Preparatory School (Scranton, PA)
- 1956-1959: Scranton Preparatory School (Scranton, PA)
- 1959-1960: St. Joseph’s Preparatory School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1960-1965: Novitiate of St. Isaac Jogues (Wernersville, PA)
- 1965-1972: St. Joseph’s Preparatory School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1973-1975: Georgetown Preparatory School (N. Bethesda, MD)
- 1975-1981: St. Joseph’s Preparatory School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1982-1983: Holy Rosary Catholic Academy (San Bernadino, CA)
- 1983-1985: Waldron Academy (Merion Station, PA)
- 1985-1993: Holy Child Infirmary and School (Rosemont, PA)
- 1993-1997: Wheeling Jesuit University (Wheeling, WV)
- 1998-1999: St. Jude Church (Radford, VA)
- 1999-2000: Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (Richmond, VA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. James Gormley:
Fr. James Gormley was ordained a Jesuit priest in 1954, who served in multiple dioceses including in the Diocese of Scranton. He served at Scranton Prep in the 1940s and 1950s. He was then transferred throughout Pennsylvania and the country until 2000. He died in 2005.
According to media reports, in December 2018, Father Gormley was named publicly on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors. In October 2019, his name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Scranton’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors, as well as on the Diocese of Richmond’s list.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Scranton. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Scranton may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Pennsylvania and nationwide. We can help.