Brother Edwin Modicowitz
Order of Friars Minor Capuchin
Assigned as follows:
- 1933-1935: St. Felix Capuchin Monastery and Novitiate (Huntington, IN)
- 1935-1936: St. Elizabeth’s Church (Milwaukee, WI)
- 1936-1946: Our Lady of Sorrows (New York, NY)
- 1948-1950: St. Felix Capuchin Monastery and Novitiate (Huntington, IN)
- 1950-1962: Our Lady of Sorrows (New York, NY)
- 1962-1963: St. Francis of Assisi (Springfield, MA)
- 1963-1967: St. Denis (Westwood, MA)
- 1968-1972: St. Joseph Friary (Fultonville, NY)
- 1972-1980: St. Fidelis Friary (Interlaken, NY)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Brother Edwin Modicowitz:
Br. Edwin Modicowitz was an ordained priest who was a member of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin and worked under the Diocese of Albany during his priesthood.
According to reports, in 1998, a man reported to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany that Brother Edwin Modicowitz had molested him in 1965-1966. The victim was serving as an altar boy at the time of the abuse at St. Denis in Westwood, Massachusetts. He also indicated the potential of there being other victims as well.
During the investigation, it was found that Modicowitz had previously been removed from a New York parish due to “problems” hinting at previous sexual misconduct.
Edwin Modicowitz died on February 23rd, 1980.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New York, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at 888-283-9922 or email us at [email protected].