Father Hugh A. Byrne
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1963-1965: St. Robert Bellarmine, Bayside Hills, NY
- 1966-1968: St. Frances De Chantal, Brooklyn, NY
- 1969-1975: Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit, Brooklyn, NY
- 1976-1980: St. Kevin’s, Flushing, NY
- 1981-1988: St. Frances Cabrini, Brooklyn, NY
- 1989: St. Luke, Queens, NY
- 1990-2002: St. Thomas More-St. Edmund, Queens, NY
- 2007-2017: Retired; Bishop Mugavero Residence, Queens, NY
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Hugh A Byrne:
According to media reports, in 2017, Fr. Hugh A Byrne was accused of sexually abusing a minor between 1971 and 1973 while at Holy Ghost (now Holy Spirit) in Brooklyn. At the same time, the internal Diocesan Review Board found an allegation made against Byrne in 2006 regarding abuse that allegedly occurred in 1996 to be credible. The details of the allegations, including when and where the abuse occurred, are unknown.
In August 2019, his name appeared on the Diocese of Brooklyn’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. He retired in 2017 and was removed from ministry in 2019.
Byrne’s current whereabouts are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.