Father Lawrence Pizzutti
Diocese of Albany
Assigned as follows:
- 1930-1931: St. Anthony’s Seraphic Seminary (Catskill, NY)
- 1931-1934: St. Francis Seminary (Lowell, MA)
- 1935-1938: Franciscan Monastery and Commissariat of the Holy Land (Brookland, DC)
- 1943-1944: Immaculate Conception Monastery (Troy, NY)
- 1944-1945: St. Sebastian (Manhattan, NY)
- 1945-1946: Mt. Alvernia Seminary (Wappingers Falls, NY)
- 1947-1949: St. Sebastian (Manhattan, NY)
- 1950-1951: Immaculate Conception Monastery (Troy, NY)
- 1951-1979: St. Anthony of Padua (Troy, NY)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Lawrence Pizzutti:
In 2003, a 61-year-old man publicly accused two priests of sexually abusing him when he was 15 to 22 years old. The two priests who are both deceased worked under the Diocese of Albany. Fr. Lawrence Pizzutti was one of the priests who was accused and had worked at St. Anthony’s in Troy, New York at the time. According to media reports, the victim said that the Diocese offered him a settlement of $4,000; which he refused.
A second victim also came forward and claimed that he had suffered abuse at the hands of Pizzutti as well when he was 15 years old. The Diocese offered him counseling and a settlement of $7,000. They did not inform him of the previous victim coming forward before they offered the check. The Diocesan Review Board claimed the allegations that happened so many years ago, and with the priests being dead, it was “too hard” to find whether or not the claims could be considered credible.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New York, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at 888-283-9922 or at [email protected].