Father John Coffield
Archdiocese of Los Angeles
- 1942: Our Lady Help of Christians (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1943-1954: Nativity Catholic Church (El Monte, CA)
- 1955-1961: Dolores Mission (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1962-1964: Ascension Catholic Church (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1965: St. Carthage Catholic Church (Chicago, IL)
- 1966-1967: Unknown
- 1968: Lived at a private residence (El Monte, CA)
- 1969: St. Anne (Santa Ana, CA)
- 1970-1974: Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission (Santa Ana, CA)
- 1972-1973: Jesuit Theology Seminary (Berkeley, CA)
- 1975-1980: Retired
- 1981: Administrator Emeritus at San Felipe de Jesus (Capistrano Beach, CA)
- 1982-2004: Unknown
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father John Coffield:
Fr. John Coffield was ordained a priest in 1941, and served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Los Angeles. According to media reports, in 2002, he was accused of sexually abusing a boy at Dolores Mission in Los Angeles from 1960 to 1962. Fr. Coffield was named in a civil lawsuit in 2003. Fr. Coffield’s victim claimed that Coffield gained befriended his parents and sexually abused him in multiple locations on and around the church grounds. After the first civil lawsuit was filed, a second accuser came forward.
Fr. Coffield died in 2005 at the age of 91. He was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. Fr. Coffield’s whereabouts and whether he had access to children from 1982 until his death in 2005 are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.