Father Francis Sweeney
Archdiocese of Los Angeles
Assigned as follows:
- 1961-1962: Park Street Paulist Center (Boston, MA)
- 1962-1964: St. Lawrence Church (Minneapolis, MN)
- 1964-1967: St. Paul the Apostle Church (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1967-1971: Trinity Washington University (Washington, D.C.)
- 1971-1972: Newman Center (Columbus, OH)
- 1972-1976: Johns Hopkins Campus Ministry (Baltimore, MD)
- 1976-1978: St. Mark’s University Parish UCSB (Isla Vista, CA)
- 1978-1982: St. Paul’s College (Washington, D.C.)
- 1982-1994: University of Maryland Base Community (Relay, MD)
- 1984-1996: NY Paulist Fathers Generalate (Scarsdale, NY)
- 1986-1994: St. Mary’s Seminary (Baltimore, MD)
- 1996-2003: Paulist Fathers Residence (Boston, MA)
- 2003-2008: Paulist Fathers Generalate (Jamaica Estates, NY)
- 2006-2013: Retired, Paulist Fathers’ Motherhouse (New York, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Francis Sweeney:
Father Francis Sweeney was ordained a Paulist priest, who served in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. According to media reports, in 1992, he was removed from ministry following his admission to the Paulists that he sexually abused two children from the late 1970s to the early 1980s at the University Base Community in Relay, Maryland.
His name appeared on the 2002 Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. In 2019, his name was also added on the Diocese of Columbus’ list, as well as on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of Paulist Fathers credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. He lived in a New York apartment of the Paulist order until his death in 2013. His access to children from 2006 until his death is unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest or other Catholic clergy in California State, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Los Angeles and nationwide. We can help.