Brother Kevin Dunne
Archdiocese of San Francisco/Franciscans
- 1945-1946: Old Mission (San Luis Rey, CA)
- 1946-1948: St. Anthony’s (Santa Barbara, CA)
- 1948-1949: Old Mission (San Miguel, CA)
- 07/49-10/49: Old Mission (Santa Barbara, CA)
- 1949-1951: St. Anthony’s (San Francisco, CA)
- 1951-1953: St. Anthony’s (Santa Barbara, CA)
- 1953-1955: Casa Paz y Bien (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1955-1956: (Mesilla Park, NM)
- 1956-1961: Holy Cross Retreat (Mesilla Park, NM)
- 1961-1972: St. Anthony’s (Santa Barbara, CA)
- 1972-1975: Old Mission (San Luis Rey, CA)
- 1975-1976: St. Anthony’s (Santa Barbara, CA)
- 1976-1980: Highland Park, CA
- 1980-1981: Los Angeles, CA
- 1981-1985: Formation House (Highland Park, CA)
- 1985-1990: St. Joseph’s (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1990-1994: Serra Retreat (Malibu, CA)
- 1994-1995: Old Mission (San Luis Rey, CA)
- 1995-1997: San Xavier del Bac (Tucson, AZ)
- 1997-1982: St. Mary’s (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1982-2004: Mission San Antonio (Jolon, CA)
- 2004-2005: Hermitage (Sebastopol, CA)
- 2005-2007: St. Francis Retreat (San Juan Bautista, CA)
- 2007-2009: Elder Care Facility (California)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Brother Kevin Dunne:
Br. Kevin Dunne, a member of the Franciscan religious order, was accused in a 2004 civil lawsuit alleging he sexually abused a victim at St. Anthony Seminary in Santa Barbara, California from 1970 to 1971.
In 2019, Dunne was included on a list of priests by the Franciscan Friars Province of Santa Barbara who was named as being “credibly accused” of child sex abuse. Information about the age of his alleged victim/victims is unknown. Dunne is also listed on the Diocese of Santa Rosa list in 2019. The Santa Rosa Diocese notes accusations in 2002 for abuse that took place in 1993. In 2019, Dunne was on the Diocese of Las Cruce’s list where he worked from 1955-1961. Lastly, he was on the Diocese of Phoenix list, but there are no known allegations there.
Dunne was one of several who was accused in 1993 of abuse of students at St. Anthony Seminary. According to media reports, as of 2002, Dunne was living with a few order members at St. Mary’s Basilica in Phoenix, AZ, serving as their treasurer and doing some housework. He was not in contact with any children there.
According to the Plaintiff’s Attorneys, in 2004 it was revealed that the Franciscans had assigned perpetrator Br. Kevin Dunne to a Franciscan-run parish in Phoenix, St. Mary’s Basilica. The Franciscans warned neither the parishioners nor the community of the risk Dunne posed.
As of 2007, Dunne was living in a retreat house near Monterey, CA, in failing health and with dementia.
Dunne died in 2010.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of San Francisco in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of San Francisco now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Archdiocese of San Francisco, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.
Contact us at 888-283-9922 or [email protected] to discuss your options today.