Father Henry Hargreaves
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1947-1948: Alma College (Alma, CA)
- 1948-1949: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1949-1952: Little Flower of Jesus (Hooper Bay, AK)
- 1951-1964: Apostleship of Prayer (Fairbanks, AK)
- 1952-1953: Curia for Matrimonial Cases (Fairbanks, AK)
- 1953-1956: Little Flower of Jesus Church (Hooper Bay, AK)
- 1956-1965: Immaculate Conception (Bethel, AK)
- 1964-1969: Commission for Liturgy, Sacred Music, and Sacred Art (Fairbanks, AK)
- 1965-1966: St. Michael’s (St. Michael, AK)
- 1966-1969: Our Lady of the Snows (Nulato, AK)
- 1969-1972: Jesuit Residence (Anchorage, AK)
- 1972-1975: St. Joseph’s (Kotlik, AK)
- 1975-1976: Jesuit School of Theology (Berkeley, CA)
- 1976-1980: St. Joseph’s (Kotlik, AK)
- 1980-1987: Immaculate Conception (Bethel, AK)
- 1987-1988: Holy Family (Newtok, AK)
- 1988-1994: Sacred Heart (Emmonak, AK)
- 1994-1997: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Nightmute, AK)
- 1994-1997: St. Peter the Fisherman (Toksook Bay, AK)
- 1994-1997: St. Joseph’s (Tununak, AK)
- 1997-2003: Br. Joe Prince Jesuit Community (St. Mary’s, AK)
- 1998-2003: Immaculate Conception (Bethel, AK)
- 2004-2013: Regis Jesuit Community (Spokane, WA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Henry Hargreaves:
Fr. Henry Hargreaves, was a priest of the Oregon Province, ordained in 1947. He briefly served in the Diocese of San Jose, and spent most of his priesthood in remote Alaskan villages. According to media reports, he was suspended from ministry in 2003 due to an allegation that he had made inappropriate sexual advances toward a 60-year-old woman in Bethel, Alaska.
Fr. Hargreaves was named in a 2007 settlement between the Jesuits and 110 plaintiffs. In 2009, he was named in a lawsuit and called a “serial child molester”. He was accused of fondling a 6- or 7-year-old boy multiple times back in 1956 in Nulato, Alaska, and of raping a 5- or 6-year-old boy in 1992 in the village of Numan Iqua.
According to media reports, in 2010, the Diocese of Fairbanks revealed in the bankruptcy reorganization documents that Hargreaves had two or more pending claims of sexual abuse.
In 2018, Hargreaves was included on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted allegations reported in 2008 and 2009 in reference to abuse that took place in 1958-1964, 1965-1966, 1967-1969, 1974, 1985, and 1990-1992.
Hargreaves spent the last decade of his life at the Regis Jesuit Community in Spokane Washington, working as a pastoral minister to Native American communities. He died in 2013.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.