Father Michael McDonald
Diocese of Monterey
- 1958-1963: Anthony’s (Atwater, CA)
- 1958-1963: Immaculate Conception (Buhach, CA)
- 1958-1961: S. Air Base (Castle Field, CA)
- 1963-1964: Peter’s (LeMoore, CA)
- 1963-1964: Joseph’s (Stratford, CA)
- 1963-1964: Rose’s (Tache Indian Reservation, CA)
- 1964-1965: Patrick’s (Watsonville, CA)
- 1965-1968: Mary of the Nativity (Salinas, CA)
- 1965-1968: Camp McCollum (CA)
- 1968-1969: Joseph’s (Capitola, CA)
- 1969-1971: Augustine’s (Scotts Valley, CA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Michael McDonald:
Fr. Michael McDonald was ordained a priest in 1958, who served in the Diocese of Monterey. In 2003, Fr. Michael McDonald was accused of sexually abusing a 10-year-old boy repeatedly from 1964-1967, when the victim attended St. Mary of the Nativity in Salinas, CA.
According to media reports, Fr. Michael McDonald allegedly sexually abused the boy more than 100 times between 1964 and 1967, starting when he was 10 years old. According to a letter from the Diocese of Monterey, there was no liability acknowledged, rather just a statement in regards to a settlement. In the letter, the bishop stated that settling the case “was in the best interests of the Diocese of Monterey and of the individual making the claim.” The Diocese of Monterey settled for $760,000 in 2004.
Fr. McDonald died in November 1971. In 2019, Fr. Michael McDonald was included on a list of priests in the Diocese of Monterey who was named as being “credibly accused” of child sex abuse.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Monterey in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Monterey now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Diocese of Monterey, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.