Father Robert Paul Michele
Archdiocese of San Francisco/Paulist
- 1955-1958: St. Austin’s (Austin, TX)
- 1958-1963: St. Paul the Apostle (New York, NY)
- 1963-1964: St. Vincent de Paul’s (Mobile, AL)
- 1964-1968: St. Philip Neri (Portland, OR)
- 1968-1972: Holy Cross Burnaby (British Columbia, Canada)
- 1972-1973: St. Austin’s (Austin, TX)
- 1973-1979: St. Ann’s (Boston, MA)
- 1979-1981: Paulist Fathers Generalate (Scarsdale, NY)
- 1981-1986: Old St. Mary’s (San Francisco, CA)
- 1986-1989: Paulist Fathers Residence (Baltimore, MD)
- 1989-1996: St. Austin’s (Austin, TX)
- 1996-2004: St. David’s Hospital (Austin, TX)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Father Robert Paul Michele:
Fr. Robert Paul Michele was a priest of the Paulist Fathers. Fr. Michele worked in the Archdioceses of New York, San Francisco, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Vancouver, and Mobile, as well as the Diocese of Austin and the Diocese of Brooklyn.
In 2018, the Paulist Fathers released a statement saying that a report was made in 2002 alleging that Michele sexually abused a minor female from 1964 to 1968 when he was assigned to St. Philip Neri parish in Portland, but they found the allegation inconclusive. The statement also said that they received another allegation claiming Michele sexually abused another minor female from 1972 to 1973 and that this allegation was deemed credible and substantiated. In 2018, the first victim filed a federal lawsuit claiming that the alleged abuse began in 1964 in Portland and continued until 1969.
Michele was named on the List of Paulist Fathers with credible claims of sexual abuse of a minor. Michele is also named on the Archdiocese of Mobile’s 2018 list of names of credibly accused clergy of sexually abusing a minor. In addition, he’s listed on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s 2018 list of accused priests and religious brothers accused of child sexual abuse.
Michele was living in a nursing facility in Mt. Angel, Oregon, until his death in September of 2020.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of San Francisco in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of San Francisco now have legal options due to a voluntary compensation fund created by the Archdiocese of San Francisco, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.