Father Sylvester Penna
Diocese of San Jose (Jesuits)
- 1948-1949: Alma College (Alma, CA)
- 1949-1950: Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1950-1952: Bellarmine High School (Seattle, WA)
- 1952-1953: St. Patrick’s (Spokane, WA)
- 1953-1960: St. Jude Thaddeus’ (Havre, MT)
- 1960-1961: St. Stanislaus’ (Lewiston, ID)
- 1961-1963: St. Patrick’s (Spokane, WA)
- 1963-1966: Gonzaga University (Spokane, WA)
- 1966-1967: Loyola High School (Missoula, MT)
- 1966-1967: St. Francis Xavier (Missoula, MT)
- 1967-1968: St. Jude Thaddeus’ (Havre, MT)
- 1967-1968: St. John’s (Cottonwood, MT)
- 1968-1972: St. Thomas the Apostle (Harlem, MT)
- 1968-1972: St. Thomas (Hogeland, MT)
- 1972-1973: St. Katherine’s (Enterprise, OR)
- 1973-1974: St. Vincent de Paul (Salem, OR)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Sylvester Penna:
Fr. Sylvester Penna was ordained a priest of the Oregon Province in 1948, who also served in the Diocese of San Jose. According to media reports, Penna’s name was included on the Oregon Province’s 2011 list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. In 2018, his name was also included on the Diocese of Great Falls-Billings list, as well as on the Jesuits West Province list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. It noted allegations reported in 2009 in reference to abuse that is believed to have taken place in 1951-1957. Information about the age/gender of his alleged victim/victims or the nature of the alleged sexual abuse is unknown.
Fr. Penna died in 1974.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Jose in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Jose now have legal options due to a temporary change in the law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.