Fr. Thomas Naughton (Jesuits)
Diocese of Baton Rouge
Removed from ministry: 2002
Left the Jesuits: 2009
Assigned as follows:
- 1965-1966: Bellarmine School of Theology (North Aurora, IL)
- 1966-1967: St. Stanislaus Novitiate (Cleveland, OH)
- 1967-1968: Jesuit High School (El Paso, TX)
- 1968-1970: Jesuit High School (Tampa, FL)
- 1970-1972: St. Louis University (St. Louis, MO)
- 1972-1973: Loyola University (New Orleans, LA)
- 1973-1979: Jesuit College Preparatory School (Dallas, TX)
- 1979-1980 Jesuit School of Theology (Berkeley, CA)
- 1982-1989: Manresa House of Retreats (Convent, LA)
- 1989-1990: Strake Jesuit College Preparatory School (Houston, TX)
- 1990-1991: “in residence” Immaculate Conception (New Orleans, LA)
- 1991-1995: Monserrat Retreat House (Lake Dallas, TX)
- 1995-April 2002: St. Killian Church (Mission Viejo, CA)
- April 2002: New Orleans Province
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Thomas Naughton:
Fr. Thomas Naughton was ordained a priest in 1965, and served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Baton Rouge. According to media reports, in 2002, Fr. Thomas Naughton was removed from his assignment at St. Killian in Mission Viejo, CA after an allegation of child sex abuse that occurred in 1978 when Naughton was president of Jesuit College Preparatory School in Dallas. The alleged victim was a sophomore at the time of the abuse. Naughton was removed from Dallas’ Jesuit Preparatory School a year after the alleged abuse, in 1979, after it was alleged that he attempted to fondle a young faculty member in a locker room whirlpool and was seen sharing the same one-person tub with someone else.
In December 2018, Fr. Naughton’s name appeared on The Jesuits U.S. Central and Southern Province’s “list of Jesuits with credible accusations of sexual abuse of a minor.” The Jesuits noted that Fr. Naughton should not be confused with Brother Thomas Naughton of the Missouri Province.
Fr. Naughton’s name appeared on the Diocese of Baton Rouge’s list of credibly accused clergy in March of 2019. In April 2019, his name appeared on the Archdiocese of Atlanta’s list of “religious order priests with credible allegations of abuse outside the Archdiocese of Atlanta.”
Fr. Naughton died in 2012.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Baton Rouge in Louisiana. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Louisiana, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Baton Rouge may now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Louisiana and nationwide. We can help.