Father A. Gregory Uhrig
Diocese of Allentown
Returned to ministry: 2011
Assigned as follows:
- 1974-1975: Holy Trinity Parish (Whitehall, PA)
- 1975-1977: Immaculate Conception (National Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mother of the Americas) (Allentown, PA)
- 1977-1978: Holy Rosary Church (Reading, PA)
- 1978-1982: St. Anthony of Padua (Easton, PA)
- 1978-1982: St. Mary’s Church (South Easton, PA)
- 1982-1982: St. Ursula’s Catholic Church (Fountain Hill, PA)
- 1983-1985: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Bernardsville, NJ)
- 1983-1985: Sacred Heart Chapel (Bernardsville, NJ)
- 1985-1986: St, Francis Cathedral (Metuchen, NJ)
- 1986-1989: St. Thomas More (Allentown, PA)
- 1989-1993: St, John the Baptist (Whitehall, PA)
- 1993-1997: Immaculate Conception Church (Somerville, NJ)
- 1997-1998: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Three Bridges, NJ)
- 1998-1999: Not Listed
- 1999-2003: St. Cecilia’s Church (Iselin, NJ)
- 1999-2003: NJ State Home for Disabled Veterans (NJ)
- 2003-2007: St. Matthew’s (Edison, NJ)
- 2007-2010: St. Luke’s (North Plainfield, NJ)
- 2010-2011: Not Listed
- 2011-2017: Maria Regina Residence (Somerset, NJ) listed as weekend assistant
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Gregory Uhrig:
Fr. Gregory Uhrig was ordained a priest in 1973, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Allentown. He was incardinated into Diocese of Metuchen NJ in 1995. According to media reports, in 2010, a 44 year old woman reported to the Diocese of Allentown that she was sexually abused by Father Gregory Uhrig as a 13 year old girl at St. Anthony of Padua in Easton, Pennsylvania. She worked in the rectory answering phones after school. Through that, as well as frequent dinner invitations to the family home, Uhrig became a close family friend. Eventually, his familiarity led to sexual contact with her over the course of four years.
Because Uhrig had already moved to the Diocese of Metuchen (NJ) at the time of the complaint, it was forwarded to the Bishop of Metuchen for review. Uhrig was removed from ministry briefly, but he appears to be doing weekend supply work throughout the Diocese still. His New Jersey parishioners have not been informed of the allegation. According to a recent public statement by the Diocese of Metuchen, the allegation was found to be not credible by both the Diocese of Allentown and the Vatican, so Uhrig was returned to ministry. However, in 2018, his name was included on the Diocese of Allentown list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. He was also named publicly as accused in the 2018 PA Grand Jury report.
Despite the fact that the grand jury was only provided one allegation to review, it appears from his assignment history that Uhrig may have been the subject of rumors and innuendo before his move to New Jersey. Based upon our experience, the move to a new diocese may itself be indicative of problems in the Allentown Diocese, though we cannot say for sure until we have been provided with a copy of Uhrig’s personnel file. Such a request would be made during the course of any lawsuit filed against the Diocese of Allentown.
Uhrig continues to minister in the Diocese of Metuchen.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.