Father Joseph Hulko
Diocese of Allentown
Assigned as follows:
- 1967-1970: Reading Central Catholic High School (Reading, PA)
- 1967-1970: Ss. Cyril and Methodius (Reading, PA)
- 1970: Newman Center (Bethlehem, PA)
- 1970: St. Catharine of Siena (Reading, PA) –in residence
- 1970-1977: Nativity High School (Pottsville, PA)
- 1970-1971: Mary Queen of Peace (Pottsville, PA) – in residence
- 1971: Chaplain, St. Francis Orphanage (Orwigsburg, PA)
- 1971-1978: St. John the Baptist (Pottsville, PA)
- 1978-1982: St. Michael (Lansford, PA)
- 1981-1985: Absent on Sick Leave
- 1985-1987: St. Margaret (Reading, PA)
- 1987-1988: St. Bernard (Easton, PA)
- 1988-1990: Assignment unknown
- 1990-1994: St. Joseph (Limeport, PA)
- 1994-1995: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Bethlehem, PA)
- 1995-2000: St. Anthony of Padua (Easton, PA)
- 2000-2003: Notre Dame of Bethlehem (Bethlehem, PA)
- Sept. 2003: Retired
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. Joseph Hulko:
Fr. Joseph Hulko was ordained a priest in 1967, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Allentown. According to media reports, Hulko admitted to abusing at least one girl at the St. Francis Orphanage during his brief assignment there in 1971, when confronted by the Diocese of Allentown in 2003. She was 14 years old at the time of the abuse. He later described himself as a “sex addict.”
In 2018, he was first named publicly as accused in the PA Grand Jury report. It noted Hulko was treated six times at inpatient treatment facilities for sexual misconduct. Based upon our firm’s experience, such treatment is a last resort exercised only after all other attempts at “correction” have failed, often at the expense of even more children. To us, that means there are many, many victims of Joseph Hulko who are suffering in shame and secrecy and need help. Please know that you are not alone and there is help available.
Hulko’s name was also included on the Diocese of Allentown 2018 list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse.
Hulko retired as a priest in good standing, though the Diocese of Allentown recently claimed it removed him, and is believed to be living in Missouri, where he still receives his pension checks from the Diocese of Allentown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.