Msgr. John Mraz
Diocese of Allentown
Elevated to Monsignor: 2008
Assigned as follows:
- 1975-1976: St. Joseph (Reading, PA)
- 1975-1976: St. Cecilia (Reading, PA)
- 1975-1980: Reading Central Catholic High School (Reading, PA)
- 1976-1978: St. Paul (Reading, PA)
- 1978-1979: Immaculate Conception (Birdsboro, PA)
- 1979-1980: St. Ignatius Loyola (Sinking Spring, PA)
- 1980-1983: St. Joseph (Limeport, PA)/Marian High School (Tamaqua, PA)
- 1983-1989: St. Bertha (Tuscarora, PA)
- 1989-1994: Lehigh Univ. Newman Center (Bethlehem, PA)
- 1989-2002: Asst. Superintendent, Diocese Dept. of Education
- 1989-2002: Allentown Catholic High School (Allentown, PA)
- 1994-2002: St. Thomas More (Allentown, PA)
- 2002-2008: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Northampton, PA)
- 2005-2015: Diocesan Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Dialogue
- 2008-2016: St. Ann (Emmanus, PA)
- 2016: Holy Family Villa (Bethlehem, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Fr. John Mraz:
Fr. John Mraz was ordained a priest in 1975, who served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Allentown. According to media reports, in September 2016 Father John Mraz was arrested for child pornography found on two of his computers. The Diocese of Allentown originally received the report from a parishioner who was updated the computers for Mraz and found countless images and videos of naked, underage boys. At the time of his arrest, Mraz had been away from the parish for approximately a month for medical reasons.
The parishioners were never told of the child pornography investigation until the media reported on his arrest. Instead, they were asked to visit Mraz as he recovered from his illness and to pray for him. Even the assistant priest at the parish was not told of the child pornography allegations, according to media reports. Mraz later admitted to using his computers to search for child porn and to sexually abusing a child. He pled guilty to the charges and was sentenced to six to 23 months in jail in July 2017.
Mraz is a registered Tier 1 sex offender. His primary offense is listed as the sexual abuse of a child, referring to the children depicted in the images located on his computer.
Allegations against Mraz are not discussed in the August 2018 PA Grand Jury report.
He currently resides in Whitehall Township, Pennsylvania. He has never been laicized.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Allentown. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Allentown may have legal options against the Diocese of Allentown.