Father James Collins
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Placed on leave: 2013
Permanently removed: 2014
Died: 2022 (age 83)
Assigned as follows:
- 1964: St. John the Evangelist (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1964-1965: Roman Catholic High School for Boys
- 1964-1965: St. Paul (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1964-1965: Office of the Metropolitan Tribunal
- 1965: Our Lady of Pompeii (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1965-1968: North American College, Rome
- 1966: St. Stephen (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1968-1969: Cardinal Dougherty High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1968-1975: Immaculate Conception (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1969-1976: Roman Catholic High School for Boys (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1975-1976: St. Paul (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1976: St. Christopher (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1976-2013: Holy Family University
- 2013: Placed on administrative leave
Summary of Allegations Against Father James Collins:
Father James Collins was ordained a priest in 1964 and served in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career. According to media reports, in 2013, he was placed on administrative leave after allegations were brought forth accusing him of sexually abusing a minor approximately 40 years earlier. This was the first allegation reported against him and no other such allegation has been received since. The information was also reviewed by the archdiocesan Office of Investigations, the Office for Child and Youth Protection and the Office of the Vicar for Clergy. Those offices provided a joint recommendation to the Archbishop, who decided to place Father Collins on administrative leave pending any possible action by law enforcement and a full internal investigation.
According to media reports, in February 2014, Father Collins was permanently removed from ministry. His name does not appear on any of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia’s lists of credibly accused priests despite the fact that the Archdiocese’s internal review board has determined at least one allegation of abuse was substantiated. Collins died on September 11, 2022.
Contact us today.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.