Father William Dougherty
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Placed on Leave: 1999
Assigned as follows:
- 1969-1970: St. Augustine (Bridgeport, PA)
- 1970: All Saints Chapel (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1970-1993: Cardinal Dougherty High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1970-1973: Our Mother of Mercy Chapel (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1973-1977: Nativity B.V.M. (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1975-1996: Military Chaplain, U.S. Air Force-Reserve
- 1977-1978: Nazareth Academy Convent
- 1978-1980: St. Therese of the Child Jesus (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1980-1983: Holy Child (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1983-1986: Holy Angels (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1986-1994: St. Jerome (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1993-1994: Mercy Vocational High School
- 1994-1996: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (Doylestown, PA)
- 1996: Leave of Absence
- 1996: Rochester Treatment Center
- 1996-1998: Mother of Divine Providence (King of Prussia, PA)
- 1998-1999: Nativity (Warminster, PA)
- 1999-2006: Leave of Absence
- 1999: Saint John Vianney Center
- 1999-200: Villa Saint Joseph
Summary of Allegations Against Father William Dougherty:
Father William Dougherty was ordained a priest in 1969 and served in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career. According to the Philadelphia 2005 Grand Jury Report, he was accused in 2002 of sexually abusing a female high school student. No date or description of the abuse was given.
According to the report, Father Dougherty had been placed on administrative leave back in 1999. In 2004, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia accepted the review board assessment stating that the allegation against him was credible. In 2004, his ministry was restricted and The Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced that the Vatican was reviewing his case for laicization. Later that year, Father Dougherty’s ministry was further restricted and ultimately he was laicized in 2006.
Contact us today.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.