Father Carmen Taraborelli
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Placed on administrative leave: 1999
Inpatient treatment: 1999
Permanent restriction from ministry: 2004
Assigned as follows:
- 1970-1971: St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1970-1971: St. Maria Goretti High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1971-1974: St. Veronica (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1974-1975: St. Bonaventure (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1975-1979: Cathedral of Ss. Peter and Paul (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1979-1983: St. Ephrem (Bensalem, PA)
- 1979-1983: Bishop Conwell High School (Levittown, PA)
- 1983-1986: St. Monica (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1986-1989: St. Anastasia (Newtown Square, PA)
- 1989-1993: Our Lady of Loreto (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1993-1999: St. Callistus (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1999: St. Laurence (Upper Darby, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Carmen Taraborelli:
Father Carmen Taraborelli was ordained a priest in 1970 and served in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career. According to the Philadelphia 2005 Grand Jury Report, he was accused of sexually abusing a fifth grade altar boy at St. Ephrem in Bensalem in the early 1980s. The report was made in September 1999. Taraborelli was removed from ministry a month later and sent for a psychological evaluation at Villa St. John Vianney, a notorious treatment facility for pedophile priests in Downingtown, Pennsylvania.
There is no indication if Taraborelli admitted to the allegation or if he disclosed additional victims during the course of his psychological evaluation. That he never again returned to ministry suggests that he did, but we cannot be certain of that without reviewing his personnel files during the course of litigation.
In 2004, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia permanently restricted Taraborelli’s ministry. Taraborelli agreed to waive his Canonical rights to a trial and accept a “supervised life of prayer and penance” without faculties to minister. The extent of his daily supervision is unknown, however.
Taraborelli is still alive and believed to be residing in the Morton, Pennsylvania, area. He is 75 years old.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.