Monsignor George Mazzotta
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Permanently removed: 2012
Assigned as follows
- 1966-1971: St. Joseph (Downingtown, PA)
- 1971-1976: Epiphany (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1971-1976: St. Maria Goretti High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1976-1978: St. Gabriel (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1978-1980: St. Clement (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1980-1985: St. Eugene (Primos, PA)
- 1985-1988: St. Paul (Norristown, PA)
- 1988: Ss. Cosmas/Damian (Conshohocken, PA)
- 1988-1990: St. Robert Bellarmine (Warrington, PA)
- 1990-1997: Mother of Divine Grace (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1997-2008: St. Madeline (Ridley Park, PA)
- 2008-2010: Stella Maris (Philadelphia, PA)
- 2008-2012: St. Madeline (Ridley Park, PA)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Msgr. George Mazzotta:
Msgr. George Mazzotta was ordained a priest in 1966 and served in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. He served in more than a dozen parishes and schools throughout his career. According to media reports, in 2010, he was accused of sexually abusing a minor at St. Joseph in Downingtown. No information has ever been provided to the public about the details or the context of the sexual abuse.
Mazzotta was suspended from ministry during its internal review board process. After investigation, in 2012, the review board substantiated the allegation and recommended that Mazzotta be deemed unsuitable for ministry. In May 2012, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced that Mazzotta’s faculties had been permanently revoked and he would no longer function as a priest.
According to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Mazzotta has accepted “a supervised life of prayer and penance.” The exact level of that supervision and even his daily activities is unknown.
Mazzotta is 80 years old. He is likely residing at Villa St. John with other credibly accused Archdiocesan priests who have accepted similar limitations in lieu of removal from the priesthood.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Pennsylvania, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia may have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so please do not delay in reaching out to us.