Father Michael Kurz
Diocese of Pueblo
Assigned as follows:
- 1976: Sacred Heart Cathedral (Pueblo, CO)
- 1977-1983: Christ the King (Pueblo, CO)
- 1984: Special Assignment – Acting Officialis (Pueblo, CO)
- 1985: St. Anne (Pueblo, CO)
- 1986-1987: College of Consultors (Pueblo, CO); Graduate Studies – North American College (Rome, Italy)
- 1988: St. Francis Xavier (Pueblo, CO)
- 1989: Unknown
- 1990-1991: St. Columba (Durango, CO)
- 1990-1993: Adjutant Judicial Vicar (Pueblo, CO)
- 1992-1993: St. Joseph Church (Monte Vista, CO)
- 1994: St. Mary Church (Walsenburg, CO)
- 1995-1997: St. Victor Church (Calumet City, IL)
- 1995-1998: On Duty Outside the Diocese
- 1998-2005: Adjutant Judicial Vicar (Rockford, IL)
- 1998-2010: St. Rita Church (Rockford, IL)
- 2004-2017: Special Assignment (Rockford, IL)
- 2006-2017: Judicial Vicar (Rockford, IL)
- 2016-2018: Retired (Rockford, IL)
- 2018: Retired; St. Rita (Rockford, IL)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father Michael Kurz:
Father Michael Kurz was ordained a priest in 1975, and served in multiple parishes in the Diocese of Pueblo. According to media reports, in 2008, a man came forward with claims that Father Kurz repeatedly sexually abused him when he was a boy at Christ the King Church in Pueblo. The abuse began in 1976 when the victim was in his early teens.
At the time of the allegation, Kurz was working in the Rockford Diocese as Judicial Vicar of Diocesan Tribunal. The Diocese of Rockford said the allegations were unfounded and false since Kurz was not formally assigned to the parish when the abuse was alleged to have occurred.
Despite this, the suit was eventually settled for an unknown amount.
Kurz died in January 2019.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Pueblo in Colorado. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Colorado, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Pueblo now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in Colorado and nationwide. We can help.