Father Cornelius Carr, s.j.
Diocese of Albany/Diocese of Rochester/Jesuits
Assigned as follows:
- 1945-1947: Loyola High School (New York, NY)
- 1952-1953: Canisius High School (Buffalo, NY)
- 1954-1959: St. Peter’s Prep (Jersey City, NJ)
- 1960-1964: McQuaid High School (Rochester, NY)
- 1968-1972: Colegio San Ignacio (Rio Piedras, PR)
- 1972-1976: Canisius High School (Buffalo, NY)
- 1976-1980: Jesuit High (New Orleans, LA)
- 1980-1983: Xavier High School (New York, NY)
- 1983-1984: St. Michael (Buffalo, NY)
- 1984-1993: Canisius High School (Buffalo, NY)
- 1993-1994: Christ the King Parish (St. Augustine, FL)
- 1995-1999: Auriesville (Auriesville, NY)
- 1999-2001: St. Michael (Buffalo, NY)
- 2001-2005: Christ the King (St. Augustine, FL)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Cornelius Carr:
Fr. Cornelius Carr was ordained a Jesuit priest of the New York Province in 1951. Throughout his career, he has held many leadership positions and was appointed provincial superior in the Buffalo region in 1966. He spent years as the principal of several high schools.
According to media reports, in August 2012, a man accused Carr of walking in on a janitor sexually assaulting him at Jesuit High School in New Orleans and proceeded to masturbate during the assault. The alleged abuse occurred when the man was a teen in the 1970s.
“When he walked over to me while Pete Modica was sodomizing me and put his hand on my back and started masturbating, telling me to relax, I was just destroyed. I was destroyed,” said the man.
Carr was investigated by the New York Province of the Society of Jesus for allegations of child abuse. The man received a $450,000 settlement from Jesuit High School for the abuse.
Carr spent the end of his life living in Murray-Weigel Hall, the Jesuit nursing home on Fordham University’s Rose Hill campus.
In November 2018, Carr’s name first appeared publicly on the Archdiocese of New Orleans’ list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. Carr was categorized as being the subject of “more than one” credible allegation but did not offer further details.
Carr also held assignments in the Diocese of Albany and the Diocese of Rochester in New York State.
Carr died in 2013.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims of sexual abuse in the Diocese of Rochester. The Diocese of Rochester in New York filed for bankruptcy protection in 2019. Our lawyers are now offering free legal consultations to discuss a potential lawsuit and your other options as a survivor of sexual abuse by priests and other employees of the Rochester Diocese.
Very strict filing deadlines have now been set by the Bankruptcy Court. Most victims of abuse will never be able to recover damages if they miss this deadline, so please contact us to discuss your case today. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an e-mail to [email protected].