Father John Costello, s.j.
Diocese of Rochester/Jesuits
Removed from ministry: 2003
Assigned as follows:
- Regis High School, New York (Manhattan), NY
- 1984-1985: Regis University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 1985- 1988: McQuaid Jesuit High School, Rochester, NY
- 1988-1989: Jesuit Community at Fordham University, New York, NY
- 1989-1992: Canisius High School, Buffalo, NY
- 1992- 1998: McQuaid Jesuit High School, Rochester, NY
- 1998-1999: Jesuit Provincial’s Office, Bronx, NY
- 1999-2005: McQuaid Jesuit High School, Rochester, NY
- 2005-2015: Murray-Weigel Hall, Bronx, NY
- 2009-2015: Fordham Preparatory School
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father John M. Costello:
In 2003, Father John Costello was accused in of sexually abusing a 15-year-old male student in 1980 while he was a teacher and seminarian at Regis High School in the New York Archdiocese, where Costello worked before ordination.
Upon receiving the allegations, the Jesuits suspended him from his job at McQuaid High School in the Diocese of Rochester. He was reinstated in January 2004 because, according to the Jesuits, the accuser had recanted.
Costello was transferred in 2005 to Murray-Weigel Hall, a Jesuit residence in the Bronx, where he was given the role of “minister.” He was also assigned to campus ministry at Fordham Prep High School.
He is believed to be in active ministry at Fordham Prep at this time.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims of sexual abuse in the Diocese of Rochester. The Diocese of Rochester in New York filed for bankruptcy protection in 2019. Our lawyers are now offering free legal consultations to discuss a potential lawsuit and your other options as a survivor of sexual abuse by priests and other employees of the Rochester Diocese.
Very strict filing deadlines have now been set by the Bankruptcy Court. Most victims of abuse will never be able to recover damages if they miss this deadline, so please contact us to discuss your case today. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an e-mail to [email protected].