Father Martin J. Casey, s.j.
Archdiocese of Washington
Assigned as follows:
- 1937 – 1940 Ateneo de Manila (Manila, Philippines)
- 1944 – 1947 St. Joseph’s University (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1947 – 1949 Ateneo de Cagayan (Cagayan, Philippines)
- 1949 – 1952 Ateneo de Manila (Manila, Philippines)
- 1952 – 1954 Ateneo de Davao (Davao City, Philippines)
- 1954 – 1958 St. Joseph’s Preparatory School (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1958 – 1964 Holy Trinity Church (Washington, DC)
- 1964 – 1971 Old St. Joseph’s Church (Philadelphia, PA)
- 1971 – 1973 Leonard Neale House Jesuit Community (Washington, DC)
- 1973 – 1997 Georgetown Jesuit Community (Washington, DC)
- 1997 – 2006 Georgetown University (Washington, DC)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Martin J. Casey:
According to a spokesperson from the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus, in 2002 the province was informed of an allegation of sexual abuse of a child against Father Martin J. Casey. At the time, Father Casey lived on the Georgetown campus and worked part-time in the Office of Federal Relations. Georgetown was not notified of the allegation.
The alleged abuse occurred in 1959 while Father Casey was working at Holy Trinity Catholic Church. He was the pastor of Holy Trinity from 1958 to 1964, a period during which President John F. Kennedy and his family were parishioners. According to university archival material, Father Casey baptized John F. Kennedy Jr. at Georgetown Hospital in 1960.
The sexual abuse allegation against Casey was considered plausible by the Maryland Province, meaning it could not be fully investigated to determine credibility, but there is a “reasonable possibility” the abuse against a minor occurred at the church. A full investigation of the accusation was not possible, according to the province, because the historical information about the accusation is incomplete.
In December 2006, Father Casey died at the age of 96.
In December 2018, Father Casey’s name appeared on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Washington, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Washington now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Contact us at (954) 641-2100 or [email protected] today.