Father Carlton Whitten
Diocese of Phoenix
Assigned as follows:
- 1961-1962 Alma College (Los Gatos, CA)
- 1962-1963 Manresa Hall (Port Townsend, WA)
- 1963-1965 Jesuit High School (Sacramento, CA)
- 1965-1972 Bellarmine College Prep. (San Jose, CA)
- 1972-1977 Brophy College Prep. (Phoenix, AZ)
- 1977-1980 St. Ignatius Prep. (San Francisco, CA)
- 1980-1987 Jesuit High School (Sacramento, CA)
- 1987-1990 Loyola High School (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1990-1992 Jesuit High School Community of Sacramento (Carmichael, CA)
- 1992-1999 Jesuit High School (Sacramento, CA)
- 1999-2001 San Luis Obispo (San Luis Obispo, CA)
- 2002-2003 St. Agnes’ (San Francisco, CA)
- 2004-2007 St. Charles Borromeo (Peoria, AZ)
- 2008 Bellarmine College Prep. (San Jose, CA)
- 2009-2018 Sacred Heart Jesuit Center (Los Gatos, CA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Carlton Whitten:
According to media reports, in December 2007, Father Carlton Whitten, a Jesuit priest was removed from active ministry while the Jesuits investigated an allegation that he had sexually abused a 17-year-old boy while he worked at St. Joseph in White Salmon, Washington. Pornography was also found on the computer that he used.
Father Whitten was reportedly a visiting priest sent to temporarily work at St. Joseph. During his “semi-retirement” years, he frequently worked along the west coast for priests on vacation or leave. He was moved from his residence at Bellarmine College Preparatory in San Jose, California, to Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, California, while the allegation of the abuse was investigated.
As of the 2012 Official Catholic Directory, Father Whitten is still living at the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos.
In October 2012, Father Whitten was named on the Diocese of Phoenix’s list of “Names of priests of religious communities who have served in the Diocese of Phoenix and have been laicized and/or removed from ministry by their communities due to sexual misconduct with a minor.”
Father Whitten was also named on the Jesuits West Province of the Society of Jesus’ “List of Jesuits from Jesuits West Province with Credible Claims of Sexual Abuse of a Minor or Vulnerable Adult” in the section “Jesuits of Jesuit West Province with Credible Claims.”
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Phoenix. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Phoenix, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Phoenix now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.