Father J. Ernest Hayes
Diocese of San Bernardino
Assigned as follows:
- 1961-1965: St. George (Ontario, CA)
- 1965-1967: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Indio, CA)
- 1967-1969: Holy Trinity (El Cajon, CA)
- 1970: Boys’ Town of the Desert (Banning, CA)
- 1971: Sacred Heart (Coronado, CA)
- 1974-1976: St. Mel (Norco, CA)
- 1976-1977: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Brawley, CA)
- 1977: Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Riverside, CA)
- 1977-1984: St. Anne (San Bernardino, CA)
- 1986: On Educational Leave
- 1988-1989: Special Assignment
- 1988: St. Bernardine Medical Center (San Bernardino, CA)
- 1989-1990: Christ the Good Shepherd (Adelanto, CA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father J Ernest Hayes:
According to the Diocese of San Bernardino, Fr. J Ernest Hayes was accused of child sexual abuse from 1978 to 1983, in 1981, and in 1987. The Diocese was made aware of the allegations in 1987, but no action was taken to remove him. Hayes was allowed to continue working in the Diocese until his death in 1990. The allegations were not reported to the police until 2002.
Information about the age/gender of his alleged victim/victims, the nature of the alleged sexual abuse, or Hayes’ assignments at the time of all the alleged abuse is unknown.
In October 2018, Hayes was included in the Diocese of San Bernardino’s list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Bernardino. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in San Bernardino, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Bernardino now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.