Father John Haberthier
Diocese of San Bernardino
Assigned as follows:
- 1950-1952: Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (Dodge City, KS)
- 1952-1953: St. Rose Hospital (Great Bend, KS)
- 1953-1960: St. Theresa’s (Dighton, KS)
- 1960-1965: St. Michael’s (La Crosse, KS)
- 1965-1967: St. Timothy in Satanta
- 1965-1967: Bob Wilson Hospital (Ulysses, KS)
- 1967-1973: Immaculate Heart of Mary (Windthorst, KS)
- 1972-1973: St. Patrick’s (Plains, KS)
- 1975: On Leave of Absence
- 1976-1979: On Duty Outside Diocese
- 1977: St. Francis Xavier (Pueblo, CO)
- 1979-1980: St. Francis de Sales (Riverside, CA)
- 1982-1987: Our Lady of the Valley in Hemet
- 1980-1994: On Duty Outside Diocese
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father John Haberthier:
According to the Diocese of San Bernardino, in December 2006, Fr. John Haberthier was accused of sexual abuse in an announcement made by the Diocese of Dodge City in Kansas. He had worked in the diocese from 1950 through 1973. The Diocesan Review Board conducted an investigation and found the allegation to be credible.
In October 2018, Haberthier was included in the Diocese of San Bernardino’s list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse. He was also included on the Diocese of Dodge list and the Diocese of Wichita list. It noted that he also allegedly abused a child in 1973 in Whittier, California and that the diocese was made aware in October 2006, when it was reported to the police. No further information about a resolution to the investigation was provided.
Haberthier retired in 1995 and died in 2009 in Great Bend, Kansas.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of San Bernardino. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in San Bernardino, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of San Bernardino now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.