Monsignor John Coffield
Diocese of Orange
Assigned as follows:
- 1942 St. Brendan’s Church (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1943 Our Lady Help of Christians Church (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1944-1954 Nativity Church (El Monte, CA)
- 1955-1961 Dolores Mission (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1962-1964 Ascension Parish (Los Angeles, CA)
- 1965-1966 Absent On Leave
- 1967-1969 On Duty Outside Diocese
- 1970-1974 Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission (Santa Ana, CA)
- 1975-1989 Retired
- 1990-2005 San Felipe de Jesus Church (Capistrano Beach, Dana Point, CA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Monsignor John Coffield:
Monsignor John Coffield was ordained a priest in 1941, who served in the Diocese of Orange. According to media reports, December 2003, he was named in a lawsuit filed against the Archdioceses of Los Angeles on behalf of multiple plaintiffs, one of whom accused Monsignor Coffield of sexually abusing him from 1959 to 1960, while he was a student at Dolores Mission. The alleged victim claimed Monsignor Coffield gained the trust of his parents and the abuse occurred at different places, including on the school grounds. Following the suit, another man came forward accusing Monsignor Coffield of sexually abusing him at Dolores Mission when he was a boy from 1960 to 1962.
Monsignor Coffield was included in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles’ list of priests accused of sexual misconduct involving minors. He was believed to be living in Dana Point, California from 2000 until his death in February 2005.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Orange in California. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in one of California’s Catholic dioceses, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Orange now have legal options due to a temporary change in California law, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in California and nationwide. We can help.