Brother Charles Irwin
Archdiocese of Newark
Assigned as follows:
- Bergen Catholic High School (Oradell, NJ)
- St. Joseph’s Juniorate (West Park, NY)
- Santa Maria Novitiate-Novice (West Park, NY)
- St. Gabriel’s Scholasticate-Student (West Park, NY)
- Sacred Heart Community and Grammar School (New York, NY)
- Cardinal Hayes-Holy Family Community (Bronx, NY)
- Cardinal Hayes-St. Helena’s Annex (Bronx, NY)
- Cardinal Hayes Community and High School (Bronx, NY)
- Power Memorial Community and Academy (New York, NY)
- Leo Community and High School (Chicago, IL)
- Bergen Catholic Community and High School (Oradell, NJ)
- St. Patrick’s Provincialate Community (New Rochelle, NY)
- Iona Prep (New Rochelle, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Brother Charles Irwin:
Brother Charles Irwin was a member of the Congregation of Christian Brothers religious order, and served in the Archdiocese of Newark. He died in October 1997. According to media reports, in 2013, he was one of ten brothers and two laymen accused in a civil case filed by more than 30 men of child sexual abuse at three Chicago schools run by the Edmund Rice Christian Brothers North American Province. In May 2013, the Order reached a settlement agreement of $16.5 million with 400 plaintiffs who claimed sexual abuse by multiple order priests and brothers. The Christian Brothers had filed for bankruptcy in April 2011, due to rising legal costs. It notified alumni that they could file claims through U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
Brother Irwin was also accused of child sexual abuse at Bergen Catholic High, an all-boys high school in Oradell, NJ. In November 2015, a $1.9 million settlement was announced, to be shared among 21 former Bergen Catholic students. One alleged victim recalled that he was taken into a storage room by Brother Irwin. He asked him to move some books and when the student bent over, Brother Irwin put his hand down his pants.
“I was sexually abused in that room by him,” he said.
The man said Brother Irwin would also pin students down in their chairs and put his hand down the backs of the boys’ pants.
In May 2017, his name was included in the Christian Brothers’ list of “current, former and deceased brothers who were identified in at least two (2) sexual abuse claims filed as proofs of claim in the bankruptcy matter In re: The Christian Brothers’ Institute, et al.”
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Archdiocese of Newark in New Jersey. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused in the Archdiocese of Newark, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Archdiocese of Newark now have legal options, but filing deadlines will apply so do not delay in reaching out to us. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New Jersey and nationwide. We can help.