Father August Kita
Diocese of Paterson/Salesians
Assigned as follows:
- 1960-1962: Salesian Pontificial Athenaeum (Rome, Italy)
- 1962-1967: Archbishop Shaw High School (Marrero, LA)
- 1967-1972: Salesian Junior Seminary (Goshen, NY)
- 1972-1976: Sacred Heart Juniorate (Ipswich, MA)
- 1977-1981: Mary Help of Christians School (Tampa, FL)
- 1982-1985: Don Bosco College (Newton, NJ)
- 1986-1988: Sacred Heart Retreat House (Ipswich, MA)
- 1989: Salesian Provincial House (New Rochelle, NY)
- 1990-1992: Don Bosco Retreat Center and Marian Shrine (West Haverstraw, NY)
- 1993-1995: Holy Rosary; St. John Bosco (Birmingham, AL)
- 1994: Helen Hayes Hospital (West Haverstraw, NY)
- 1996-1997: Don Bosco Retreat Center and Marian Shrine (West Haverstraw, NY)
- 1998: Unknown
- 1999: Don Bosco Technical High School (Paterson, NJ)
- 2000-2008: Don Bosco Retreat Center and Marian Shrine (Stony Point, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father August Kita:
Fr. August Kita was a Salesian priest. He held various positions as a teacher, director, and pastor at many locations across the country.
According to media reports, in November 2018, Kita’s name first appeared publicly on the Archdiocese of New Orleans’ list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. It noted an allegation reported in 2006, of child sexual abuse in the 1960s and 1970s. In the fall of 2009, at least one claim of child sexual abuse against him was included in the almost $5.2M settlement with the Archdiocese of New Orleans.
In 2020, Kita was included on the Salesians list of clergy credibly accused of child sexual abuse.
Kita died in 2008.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Paterson. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Paterson, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Paterson now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.