Father Charles Jeffries Burton
Diocese of Paterson/Jesuits
Assigned as follows:
- 1968: College of the Sacred Heart (Woodstock, MD)
- 1969-1970: Colegio San Mateo (Osorno, Chile)
- 1971-1978: Chapel of the Holy Redeemer (Hot Springs, NC)
- 1979-1982: Youth Ministries (Flat Rock, NC)
- 1980: Self-Help, Inc. (Baltimore, MD)
- 1983-1988: Holy Name (Camden, NJ)
- 1989-1991: Jesuit Ferdinand Wheeler House (Baltimore, MD)
- 1990-1994: Holy Spirit (Atlantic City, NJ); Camden Diocesan Center (Mays Landing, NJ) Stockton State College (Pomona, NJ)
- 1993-1998: St. Peter (Pleasantville, NJ)
- 1999-2002: St. James (Ventor, NJ)
- 2003-2006: Assumption Parish (Pomona, NJ)
- 2007: Sacred Heart (South Richmond, VA)
- 2008: Jesuit Fathers and Brother Maryland Provincial Curia (Baltimore, MD)
- 2009-2010: Colombiere Jesuit Community (Baltimore, MD)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father C. Jeffries Burton:
Fr. Charles Jeffries Burton was ordained a Jesuit priest in 1967. He served in multiple parishes throughout his career including Maryland, Chile, North Carolina, and New Jersey. He taught, served in Hispanic ministry, established and co-directed a youth ministry program, and worked as a campus minister. According to media reports, in 1994, the Jesuits received a report that in 1982 Burton had engaged in “inappropriate touching” with a minor in North Carolina. He was sent for therapy, but remained in ministry and was reassigned.
In June 2007, the Jesuits said they discovered the earlier allegation from 1982 after reviewing Burton’s personnel file. He was co-director of youth ministry for the Diocese of Charlotte, North Carolina at the time. He acknowledged the sexual misconduct and was removed from active ministry.
In December 2018, Burton’s name appeared on the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus list of Jesuits with credible allegations of sexual abuse of minors since 1950. In February 2019, his name also appeared publicly on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. It was added to the Diocese of Richmond’s list, as well.
Burton died in 2011.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Paterson. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Paterson, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Paterson now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims.