Father John Mahoney
Diocese of Rockville Centre
Assigned as follows:
- 1964-1973 St. Francis Retreat House (Garrison, NY); Mary Immaculate Friary (Garrison, NY)
- 1973-1974 St. John Hospital (Smithtown, NY)
- 1974-1978 St. Ann’s Friary (Smithtown, NY)
- 1976-1982 Guardian Angel Chapel at Wassaic Developmental Center (Wassaic, NY)
- 1982-1984 North Shore Hospital (Manhasset, NY)
- 1984-1990 St. John the Baptist (New York, NY)
- 1990-1994 Blessed Sacrament (Manchester, NH)
- 1994-1998 St. Francis Friary (Garrison, NY)
- 1998-2002 St. Conrad Friary (White Plains, NY)
- 2002-2004 St. Lawrence of Brindisi Friary (Beacon, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations Against Father John Mahoney:
Father John Mahoney was ordained a Capuchin Franciscan priest. According to media reports, in April 2003, he was named in a lawsuit accusing him of sexually abusing an 11-year-old altar boy in 1967 while on a trip to West Point, New York. He allegedly spanked and caressed the bare buttocks of the boy. Future attempts to molest the boy “occurred in the sacristy, the bell tower, and in defendant’s car.” He was Director of the Capuchins’ St Francis Retreat House, across the Hudson from West Point at the time. He celebrated Mass for many years at St Barnabas in Bellmore, NY, where the boy was a parishioner.
In August 2019, Father Mahoney was named in two lawsuits filed under the NY Child Victims Act against the Diocese of Rockville Centre. In one suit he was accused of sexually abusing an 11-year old St. Barnabas student from 1971 to 1974. (The victim also named Father Edward R. Andrea, with alleged abuse 1975 to 1978.) In the second suit, he was accused of sexually abusing a 10-year-old altar boy in the sacristy and during altar boy services at St. Barnabas.
Father Mahoney died in December 2004. His name is listed on the Diocese of Rockville Centre’s 2021 List of Clergy Credibly Accused of Sexual Abuse of a Minor.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Rockville Centre in New York. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New York, contact our office today. In October 2020, the Rockville Centre Diocese filed for federal bankruptcy protection. The Court will resolve all claims of sexual abuse in this process but strict filing deadlines will apply and no late claims will be considered, so contact us today. Our lawyers have decades of experience representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in New York and nationwide. We can help.