Brother Joseph (Cuthbert) Thibault
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1937-1945: St. John’s Prep (Danvers, MA)
- 1946-1948: St. Michael’s (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1949-1954: Holy Cross (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1955-1957: Mission High School (Roxbury, MA)
- 1956-1968: Xavier High School (Middletown, CT)
- 1958-1961: Mount St. Joseph (Baltimore, MD)
- 1963-1964: Notre Dame (Utica, NY)
- 1969-1971: Xaverian Brothers High School (Westwood, MA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Brother Joseph (Cuthbert) Thibault:
Br. Joseph (Cuthbert) Thibault joined the Brothers of St. Francis Xavier in 1933. According to media reports, in 2005, he was named in a civil lawsuit alleging sexual abuse of a minor male student at Mission High School, in Boston, Massachusetts from 1956 to 1957. The suit involved multiple plaintiffs and named multiple priests as defendants. Other allegations of sexual abuse were reportedly made against Thibault that allegedly occurred in Baltimore, Maryland, and Roxbury, Massachusetts in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
In 2019, he was named on the Xaverian Brothers’ list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors. He died in 1971.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.