Brother William (Francis Jerome) Burns
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1924-1926: Holy Cross (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1927: St. Michael (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1929: St John’s (Worcester, MA)
- 1930-1931: Assumption High School (Utica, NY)
- 1932-1933: St. John’s Preparatory School (Danvers, MA)
- 1934: John Baptist (Bangor, ME)
- 1935-1938: Malden Catholic (Malden, MA)
- 1939: St. Xavier (Louisville, KY)
- 1940: Cardinal Hayes High School (Bronx, NY)
- 1941-1943: Good Counsel Annex (New York, NY)
- 1944-1945: Holy Cross (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1945-1949: St. Michael (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1950: Keith Academy (Lowell, MA)
- 1951-1953: St. John’s Prep (Danvers, MA)
- 1954: Flaget Retreat Center (Louisville, KY)
- 1955: Holy Name (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1956-1957: Mount St. Joseph (Baltimore, MD)
- 1958: Working Boys Home (Newton, MA)
- 1959: Xaverian College (Silver Spring, MD)
- 1960: Working Boys Home (Newton, MA)
- 1961: St. John’s Preparatory School (Danvers, MA)
- 1963-1965: Xavier High School (Middletown, CT
- 1966:Xaverian Brothers High School (Westwood, MA)
- 1967: St. John’s (Shrewsbury, MA)
- 1968-1974: Malden Catholic High School (Malden, MA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Brother William (Francis Jerome) Burns:
Br. William (Francis Jerome) Burns was a member of the Brothers of St. Francis Xavier. He was transferred frequently, almost every year or two, with the exception of his last six years at Malden Catholic in Massachusetts. According to media reports, in 2019, his name was included on the Xaverian Brothers’ list of clergy credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors. It noted that multiple allegations of child sexual abuse were made beginning in 2003. The alleged sexual abuse occurred from the 1950s to 1970s, in Brooklyn, New York, and in Shrewsbury, Danvers, and Malden, Massachusetts.
In July 2019, Burns’ name appeared on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
Burns died in 1974.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.