Father John Bals
Diocese of Brooklyn
- Unknown: St. Thomas More-St. Edmund (Rockaway Breezy Point, NY)
- 1960-1962: Our Lady of Lourdes (Queens Village, NY)
- 1963: On Duty Outside the Diocese
- 1963: Washington D.C. Catholic University
- 1964-1965: St. Paul’s (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1966-1971: Christ the King High School (Middle Village, NY)
- 1972: Our Lady of the Cenacle (Richmond Hill, NY)
- 1973: Absent on Leave
- 1973-1995: Unknown
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father John Bals:
Fr. John Bals was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Brooklyn in 1959. While at Christ the King High School in Middle Village, New York, from 1966 to 1971, he worked as a counselor and spiritual director.
According to media reports, in October 1973, Bals was laicized.
In February 2019, Bal’s name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Brooklyn’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. Information about the age/gender of his alleged victim/victims, the nature of the alleged sexual abuse, or Bal’s assignments at the time of the alleged abuse is unknown.
His whereabouts and whether he had access to children between 1973 and his death in 1995 are unknown.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.