Father Louis Aufiero
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1967: St. Francis Xavier’s (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1968: Absent on Leave
- 1970: Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal (Ridgewood, NY)
- 1971-1974: St. Anselm’s (Brooklyn NY)
- 1975-1977: Holy Family (Flushing, NY)
- 1978: On Duty Outside Diocese
- 1979-1981: On Duty Outside Diocese; Our Lady of the Rock Benedictine House (Shaw Island, WA)
- 1982-1992: Released From Diocesan Assignment; Our Lady of the Rock, Benedictine House (Shaw Island, WA)
- 1993-1995: St. Ephrem’s (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1996-1998: Holy Family (Queens, NY)
- 2000-2008: Parsons Manor (Jamaica, NY)
- 2009: Holy Family (Queens, NY)
- 2010-2015: Unknown
- 2015: Retired; Home For the Aged, Little Sisters of the Poor (Queens Village, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Louis Aufiero:
According to media reports, in February 2019, Fr. Louis Aufiero’s name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Brooklyn’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. He had several allegations of child sexual abuse made against him before and after his death.
Information about the age/gender of his alleged victim/victims, the nature of the alleged sexual abuse, or Aufiero’s assignments at the time of the alleged abuse are unknown.
There are numerous “red flags” in Aufiero’s assignment history that suggest he had a history of abuse allegations during his ministry, though we cannot say that with certainty without examining his personnel file. For example, his assignments outside of the Diocese of Brooklyn starting in 1978, are consistent with the modus operandi of bishops trying to cover up abuse allegations by sending accused priests to work in another diocese. His 1968 leave of absence is also curious. These are the types of questions that we would seek to answer during the course of litigation. While it is possible these designations are for innocuous reasons, it is also quite possibly the opposite as well.
Aufiero died in May 2015.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.