Father Dennis P. Murphy
Diocese of Richmond
Assigned as follows:
- 1974-1976 Our Lady of Nazareth (Roanoke, VA)
- 1976-1977 St. James; St. Anne’s (Hopewell, VA)
- 1976-1978 Chancery Position (VA)
- 1977-1979 St. John’s (Dinwiddie, VA)
- 1979-1985 St. Thomas More (Lynchburg, VA)
- 1985-1986 Our Lady of Perpetual Help; V.A. Hospital (Salem, VA)
- 1986-1988 St. Ann’s (Colonial Heights, VA)
- 1988-1992 Yale University (New Haven, CT)
- 1992-1995 St. Ann’s (Ashland, VA)
- 1992 Randolph-Macon College (Ashland, VA); Hollins University (Roanoke, VA) ; Roanoke College (Salem, VA)
- 1995-2002 V.A. Hospital (Providence, RI)
- 1996-1997 St. Cecilia (Boston, MA)
- 1997-1998 Harvard Divinity School (Cambridge, MA)
- 1998-2002 St. John Vianney (Cumberland, RI)
- 2002-2004 Church of the Holy Comforter (Charlottesville, VA)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Dennis P. Murphy:
Father Dennis P. Murphy was ordained for the Diocese of Richmond, but also worked in the dioceses of Providence, RI; Bridgeport, CT and Boston MA. After about fourteen years serving Virginia churches and campus ministries and four years as a chaplain at Yale University, he was loaned out to the Military Archdiocese, working in Providence, at the VA hospital “to care for his mother.”
According to media reports, in April 2004, he was placed on leave amidst complaints regarding his questionable behavior with teenagers; whether they were male or female was not disclosed. He had been at the Church of the Holy Comforter for two years, as a replacement for Father J. Goodman, an admitted child sexual abuser, who was sent for evaluation.
In February 2019, Father Murphy‘s name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Richmond’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Richmond. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Richmond, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Richmond now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.