Assigned as follows:
- Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (Richmond, VA), Associated Pastor
- St. John Vianney High School Seminary (Goochland, VA), Faculty
- Church of the Sacred Heart and Blessed Sacrament (Norfolk, VA), Pastor
- Church of the Holy Apostles (Virginia Beach, VA), Co-Pastor
- Holy Comforter (Charlottesville, VA), Pastor
- St. Nicholas (Virginia Beach, VA), Pastor
Summary of Abuse Allegation against Monsignor Raymond Barton:
Monsignor Raymond Barton was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Richmond in 1966. He was pastor at numerous churches throughout the decades. According to media reports, in February 2020, he was accused of sexually abusing a child in the early 1970s. No further details of the abuse were disclosed. The allegations were brought forward against him by a representative of the alleged victim, who is now deceased.
The Catholic Diocese of Richmond reported the allegations to civil authorities. Monsignor Barton retired in 2011 and will not be permitted to “engage in active ministry until the allegations are investigated and resolved.”
Raymond Barton died on September 17, 2022. He had been residing in Virginia Beach.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Richmond. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Richmond, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Richmond now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.