Assigned as follows:
- 1950-1953 St. Joseph’s Orphanage (Burlington, VT)
- 1954-1956 All Saints (Richford, VT)
- 1954-1956 Our Lady of Lourdes (East Berkshire, VT)
- 1956-1957 St. Stephen’s (Winooski, VT)
- 1957-1959 Catholic University (Washington, DC)
- 1957-1961 Assistant Chancellor (Burlington, VT)
- 1957-1971 Diocesan Tribunal (Burlington, VT)
- 1959-1961 DeGoesbriand Memorial Hospital (Burlington, VT)
- 1959-1966 Holy Childhood Association (Burlington, VT)
- 1963-1971 Administrative Council (Burlington, VT)
- 1961-1967 Chancellor and Secretary (Burlington, VT)
- 1967-1971 Vicar General and Chancellor (Burlington, VT)
- 1971-1997 Bishop (Providence, RI)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Bishop Louis Gelineau:
Bishop Louis Gelineau was a priest of the Diocese of Burlington for 27 years. He was named Bishop of Providence in December 1971, serving in that role until he retired in June 1997. In 2004, he moved to St. Antoine Residence in Smithfield, Rhode Island and serves as chaplain. He is 91 years old.
According to media reports, in 1997, Bishop Gelineau was accused in a lawsuit of trying to fondle and then drown an 11-or 12-year-old boy in 1951 at St. Joseph’s Orphanage in Burlington. At the time, Bishop Gelineau was a brother and worked at the orphanage during the summers. He denied the accusation in a 1997 deposition. He also denied having sexual contact with an altar boy in 1993.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Burlington. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Burlington, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Burlington now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.