Father Edward Maurer
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- St. Joseph (Long Island City, NY)
- Christ the King (Springfield Gardens, NY)
- 1970-1973: Holy Innocents (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1974-1980: Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (Forest Hills, NY); Secretaries to Auxiliary Bishops (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1981-1986: St. Thomas Aquinas (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1988-1998: St. Stanislaus Kostka (Queens, NY)
- 1991-2000: Liturgical Council (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1998-2002: Presbyteral Council (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1999-2002: St. Joseph (Queens, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father Edward Maurer:
According to media reports, in October 2002, Fr. Edward Maurer was one of several priests removed from ministry in June 2002. He and 11 other priests and 1 brother were named as child sexual abusers in a civil suit filed by 43 men and women. The suit alleged that Maurer abused a minor boy in the 1970s, who was also allegedly a victim of Fr. James Collins.
In October 2003, Maurer was named as a child sexual abuser of two minor boys in another civil lawsuit involving 24 priests. He allegedly abused one boy in the 1970s while working at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Forest Hills, New York, and the second boy in the 1980s while working at St. Thomas Aquinas in Brooklyn.
In February 2019, Maurer’s name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Brooklyn’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors.
Maurer retired in 2003 and died in August 2016.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.