Father James G. Sickler
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1953-1954: St. Frances de Chantal (Wantagh, NY)
- 1955-1959: Good Shepherd (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1961-1965: St. Pancras (Glendale, NY)
- 1966-1969: St. Gabriel (East Elmhurst, NY)
- 1970: Blessed Sacrament (Jackson Heights, NY)
- 1971-1979: St. Rose of Lima (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1980-1983: St. Savior (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1984-1994: St. Ann’s (Queens, NY)
- 1995-1996: St. Finbar (Brooklyn, NY)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Father James G Sickler:
According to media reports, Fr. James G Sickler was one of 24 priests named in a civil lawsuit, filed in October 2003, in which 27 people alleged child sexual abuse. One man said Sickler sexually abused him when he was a 14-year-old altar boy at St. Pancras Church in Glendale, New York from 1959 to 1961. Sickler allegedly asked the boy to join a “secret club” in the restroom of the parish elementary school. The handshake for the “secret club” involved manipulating each other’s genitals.
In February 2019, Sickler’s name appeared publicly on the Diocese of Brooklyn’s list of clergy credibly accused of sex abuse of minors. The details of the allegations, including when and where the abuse occurred, are unknown.
Sickler died in October 1996.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.