Brother Ralph (August) Mravintz
Diocese of Brooklyn
Assigned as follows:
- 1943-1944: Mt. St. John (Dayton, OH)
- 1945: St. John’s Home (Brooklyn, NY)
- 1948-1949: Purcell High School (Cincinnati, OH)
- 1950: University of Dayton (Dayton, OH)
- 1950-1953: Hamilton Catholic High School (Hamilton, OH)
- 1953-1959: Cathedral Latin High School (Cleveland, OH)
- 1959-1960: Chaminade High School (Mineola, NY)
- 1960-1964: North Catholic High School (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1965: Moeller High School (Cincinnati, OH)
- 1965-1973: University of Dayton (Dayton, OH)
- 1974-1984: St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- 1984-1985:North Catholic High School (Pittsburgh, PA)
- 1985-1988: Memphis Catholic High School (Memphis, TN)
- 1989-1992: Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory School (Hollywood, FL)
- 1993-2004: St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- 2005: Indiana Avenue Marianist Community (Dayton, OH)
Summary of Abuse Allegations against Brother Ralph (August) Mravintz:
Br. Ralph (August) Mravintz was a member of the Marianist Order. He spent his career working as a teacher at multiple parishes in multiple states. He’s worked in Ohio, New York, Florida, Tennessee, Pennsylvania. According to media reports, in 1985, he was accused of sexually abusing a 15-year-old male student from 1984 to 1985 while teaching at North Catholic High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The boy was seeking help with his studies, when Mravintz allegedly hugged him, said I love you and fondled him on several occasions.
Mravintz was charged with indecent assault and corrupting a minor but was not removed from his classroom. In 1986, he pleaded no contest to a reduced disorderly conduct charge because the boy did not want to testify. The Diocese of Brooklyn denied responsibility because he was a member of a religious order.
The Archdiocese of New York denied any knowledge of the 1985 charges until May 2014, when an alumnus reported Mravintz in response to requests for complaints regarding another allegedly abusive clergy member, Br. Hartman.
In 2020, Mravintz was included on the Marianists Province list of Marianists members credibly accused of child sexual abuse.
Mravintz died in May 2006.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in Brooklyn, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Diocese of Brooklyn now have legal options to recover damages due to a compensation fund created for victims. Call us at 888-283-9922 or send an email to [email protected] to discuss your options today.