Father James McNerney
Diocese of Albany
Placed on Leave: 2004
Assigned as follows:
- 1981-1983: Our Lady of the Assumption (Latham, NY)
- 1983- Pyramid Lake Camp (Paradox, NY)
- 1983-1986: St. Mary’s Church (Ballston Spa, NY)
- 1985-1986: Saratoga Catholic Central High School (Saratoga Springs, NY)
- 1986- 1987: Crosier Seminary (Onamia, MN)
- 1988- 1992: St. Patrick’s Church (Catskill, NY)
- 1992-1994: St. John the Evangelist (Schenectady, NY)
- 1994-1996: St. Joseph’s (Green Island, NY)
- 1995-1996: Sacred Heart of Mary (Watervliet, NY)
- 1996-2004: St. Paul the Apostle (Troy, NY)
- 2000-2004: St. Peter (Troy, NY)
Summary of Sexual Abuse Allegations against Father James McNerney:
In 2003, the Diocese of Albany received a complaint about Fr. James McNerney abusing a minor in the late 1980s. After conducting a year-long investigation, he was placed on administrative leave due to the diocesan review board ruling the allegations against him may be true.
James McNerney denied all of the accusations against him and no criminal charges have been officially filed.
As of 2005, McNerney has asked the Vatican for a canonical trial to prove his innocence. The outcome of that trial is not clear but McNerney is not believed to have returned to active ministry.
In 2018, McNerney was named on the revised Diocese of Albany list of clergy members who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse and misconduct.
Horowitz Law is a law firm representing victims and survivors of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and other clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany. If you need a lawyer because you were sexually abused by a priest in New York, contact our office today. Although many years have passed, those abused by Catholic clergy in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany now have legal options to recover damages for a limited time. Contact us at 888-283-9922. Email us at [email protected].